Monday, 10 September 2012

Honor

When the cast for upcoming Wolverine movie was revealed, I was excited! One of my favourite subjects to draw, Japanese top model Tao Okamoto plays Mariko, Logan's love and bride-to-be. What I have understood the movie is based on the classic Chris Claremont & Frank Miller created "Japan" miniseries from the early 80's which incidentally was one of my favourite comics as a child, so Tao as Mariko in this story particularly is an unexpected dream come true. What you see here is my take on how the final scene in the comic with Logan and Mariko could or should look like in the movie, drawn after Tao and Hugh Jackman and based freely on Frank Miller's and inker Josef Rubinstein's original panels.






2 comments:

NePaul Wilson said...

First, Frank Miller = LOVE. Second, correct me if I'm wrong (I literally know next to nothing about X-Men or the lore) didn't Wolverine train with a Samurai or something to that extent?

Seeing your work makes me want to get into the comics (or at least into the one you mentioned). I'm an astronomically large Genndy fan (the guy behind Samurai Jack Sym-bionic Titan and did the artwork for Powerpuff Girls and Dextar's Laboratory) and always wanted to see him dip his style into X-Men because I feel with a series with so many amazing set pieces and important personal sequences (both action oriented and subtle) could really benefit from it.

While I may not have a complete knowledge of everything that's happening in these scenes I can tell by the emotions and the beauty you bring to the characters faces that is a sequence of strong value.

Shunichiro said...

Thank you! Apparently I did something right as you're right; the scene I depicted is indeed a sequence of strong value.

I think so too that Wolverine trained with a samurai. In the movie the villain will be Silver Samurai who wasn't in the miniseries I mentioned so they have taken some liberties in mixing different storylines together (in the comic the main villain was lord Shingen, a crimelord who happen's to be Mariko's father).

Anyhow, I have no idea what happens in modern X-Men comics as I haven't read them for years. I just don't like these modern comic book artists.

I recommend Chris Claremont era X-Men from the early 80's (with John Byrne as penciler and Terry Austin as inker). That's when X-Men were at their best. Those stories have been collected into b&w paperbacks labeled as "essentials".