Monday, 20 December 2010

Merry Christmas, Miss Lawrence

I originally intended to call this picture story 'Shanghai Express' as a homage to Wong Kar-Wai's movie 'Chunking Express', but as this is a Christmas week, I chose another title. I turned parts of recent Shu Pei editorials into a 'photoshoot' of my own, and when I put my pen on the paper, I really couldn't help it but yet again draw inspiraton from the aforementioned iconic movie director and his collaboration with English-born cinematographer Christopher Doyle. The trick to tap into their fevered style is to draw fast and without thinking too much ahead, creating the same sense of improvisation as in their works. But enough of that, with 'Miss Lawrence' I want to wish you all Merry Christmas! May your presents contain everything you wished for! And of course, may there be a peace on earth... a peace on earth.

2 comments:

Jellyfish Opera said...

I woke up to some beautiful art this morning, maybe an early Christmas present. One thing is for sure, the next year can only bring in more of your magnificent art.

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Years.

Shunichiro said...

Thanks, and Happy Holidays and New Year to you too!

I already have some projects in the pipeline for the next year (and also for the next week), and I'm hoping to finish that ghost story graphic novel early in the year too. Yesterday it passed 100 panel mark, with each panel being an A3-sized art drawing.

Also, maybe that Mad Max story will evolve into something reasonable, hehe... and of course, new episodes of 269 will pop up at Graphic Voices, with other stories planned and already in the works there too.

So I'll be busy, busy, busy! No rest for the wicked!