Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Rattle & Hum illustrated

Heartland
See the sunrise over her skin
Don't change it
See the sunrise on her skin
Dawn changes everything

And the delta sun burns bright and violent

Mississippi and the cotton wool heat
Sixty-six the highway speaks
Of deserts dry, of cool green valleys
Gold and silver veins - shining cities

In this heartland
In this heartland
In this heartland
Heaven knows this is a heartland

She feels like water in my hand
Freeway like a river cuts through this land
Into the side of love like a burning spear
And the poison rain brings a flood of fear
Through the ghostranch hills, Death Valley waters
In the towers of steel belief goes on and on

In this heartland
In this heartland
In this heartland
Heaven knows this is a heartland                            lyrics by Bono

Hawkmoon 269
Silver & Gold
God Part II
When Love Comes to Town
Angel of Harlem
Bullet the Blue Sky
All Along the Watchtower
Love Rescue Me
All I Want Is You
Desire
Once again I present an illustrated version of one of my favourite records. While U2's 'Rattle & Hum' (released in 1988) itself is sort of a concept album, love & critic of USA of the time, I wanted to form my own concept with these pictures, a ride through 'Heartland', but at the same time remain true to the original lyrics. There are 17 songs in the album but I chose 11 of them that would serve my conceptual story. While doing the pictures, I somehow subconsciously inserted some of Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman' mythology in there too so it played one of the key roles while deciding the final order of the images, as the 'songs' here don't appear in the order they did in the record.

No comments: