Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Merry Christmas!

 
Fresh from the drawing board, with this image of ever-so-happy Shu Pei I wish you all Merry Christmas! I like working with traditional media so much. You get your hands dirty and if you make a mistake, correcting it is not as easy as pressing undo or loading up a backup. Those things don't exist in the real world. Instead you have to be inventive. Like in this drawing. After inking and coloring I didn't like how the nose turned out. It looked too bulky, nothing like Shu Pei's. I was happy with the other features so I really didn't want to re-draw from the scratch. So after covering up the nose shape with a layer of white acrylic paint, re-applying colors with cartoon markers onto it and softening them with a touch of white oil pastel smudged with fingertip, the nose came just about right. This is why I like working with traditional media; you mess up and you have to work your way out of it.

No comments: